Dr. Alec Levenson - A Systems Approach to HR Analytics
In this podcast, our guest Dr. Alec Levenson discusses why organizations struggle to derive value from their HR analytics efforts and offers useful suggestions for improvement. He offers ideas that are non-intuitive but have demonstrated results. For example, start with the right questions and the data you have, do not fall into the trap of doing fancy analytics when sometimes simple descriptives are all you need and having analytics-driven insights does not guarantee accurate interpretation. Anyone struggling to get the buy-in for investing in analytics efforts or looking to tighten the link between data-based insights and HR decision making will find value in this podcast.
Dr. Alec Levenson is a Senior Research Scientist at the Center for Effective Organizations at the University of Southern California. Trained as a labor economist, he exemplifies what it means to be a multidisciplinary scientist-practitioner. Dr. Levenson’s research focuses on the economics of human resources and organization design; HR and human capital metrics, analytics, and return on investment; and global and emerging market talent strategies. He has received research grants from various agencies such as the Sloan Foundation, Russell Sage Foundation, the Rockefeller Foundation, and the National Science Foundation. He works with Fortune 100 companies to optimize job and organization performance and HR systems through the application of organization design, job design, human capital analytics, and strategic talent management. His research has been published in numerous academic and business publications, and has been featured in New York Times, Wall Street Journal, The Economist, CNN, Associated Press, U.S. News and World Report, National Public Radio, Los Angeles Times, USA Today, Marketplace, Fox News, and many other news outlets. Dr. Levenson holds a Masters and Ph.D. in Labor Economics from Princeton University.
Links to books and blogs on HR Analytics by Dr. Levenson
- Levenson, A. Strategic Analytics: Advancing Strategy Execution and Organizational Effectiveness, Oakland, CA: Berrett-Koehler, 2015.
- HR data and analytics manifesto: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/i-solemnly-swear-hr-data-analytics-manifesto-alec-levenson/
- The right way to scorecard HR (don’t focus on turnover & safety): https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/right-way-scorecard-hr-dont-focus-turnover-safety-alec-levenson/
- Beware the HR analytic barbarians: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/beware-hr-analytic-barbarians-alec-levenson/
- Strategic analytics is a team sport: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/strategic-analytics-team-sport-alec-levenson/
- Workforce data systems are junk food not a gold mine: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/workforce-data-systems-junk-food-gold-mine-alec-levenson/
- Systems diagnostics are essential to create high performance: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/systems-diagnostics-essential-create-high-performance-alec-levenson/
- Winning the HR analytics arms race: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/winning-hr-analytics-arms-race-alec-levenson/
- Dangers of HR data mining: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/dangers-hr-data-mining-alec-levenson/
Related Learning and Certifications Option
This podcast is hosted by Dr. Shreya Sarkar-Barney